With the right landscape design, any outdoor space can go from ordinary to extraordinary, regardless of size. If you have a small yard to work with, all you need are a few design tricks and clever uses of space to create a beautiful outdoor oasis. Keep these landscape design ideas in mind when installing new features in a small yard.
What to Consider with Any Landscape Design?
Before launching your project, ask yourself these questions:
- What is your home’s design style? As a rule, your landscape design should complement your home’s exterior, not distract from it. Still, it may be appropriate to incorporate modern design elements, even if your home is a bit more traditional. Working with a landscape designer is the best way to pinpoint a style that looks and functions the way you want.
- What climate do you live in? For the most resilient, low-maintenance yard, choose native plants and group them by watering needs. If you have your heart set on something tropical in a temperate climate, put it in a container so you can water it independently and move it inside during cold weather.
- Do you like to entertain? Think about the uses you have in mind for your yard. If you plan to host parties, consider how you can use furniture groupings to your advantage.
- Is your yard sloped? You may need to build retaining walls or use landscape fabric to hold soil in place and prevent erosion.
- Is turf grass important to you? This standard backyard feature requires a lot of water and maintenance, so if you don’t feel strongly about it, consider replacing it with other design elements.
When you are planning a small backyard or garden design in Westchester County, you need to be sure to avoid overwhelming your yard with landscaping elements that will be too large for the space you are working with. As a rule, your overall landscaping design should seamlessly complement your home’s design rather than detract or distract from it. Watch this video clip for some great landscape design tips for a small yard. An experienced landscape architect in your area can help you develop the perfect small backyard design that will both make your home more attractive and add curb appeal.
How to Design a Landscape for a Small Yard?
When you’re ready to begin working on a new landscape design, follow these tips for the best results:
- Utilize the entire yard: A functional layout is critical in your small outdoor space. Rather than the traditional patio, surrounding lawn, and perimeter plantings, it’s better to create destinations in the corners of the yard to make it feel larger and more functional.
- Consider scale: As you plan a garden design, don’t overwhelm your small yard with large landscaping elements. Keep the scale relative to the space, and you’ll have a more aesthetically pleasing design.
- Create a view: The best landscape design for a small yard doesn’t just look beautiful when you’re outside; it’s also visually pleasing from the inside. Create a focal point visible through the windows to tie in the backyard with the rest of your house.
- Divide the space: While you don’t want to cut off sightlines completely, consider organizing the yard into visually distinctive areas with strategic plantings, low walls, or raised sections. This strategy creates outdoor “rooms” to facilitate multiple activities. Repeating shapes, elements, and materials throughout these “rooms” builds a cohesive composition.
- Focus on outdoor living: Think about what you need to be comfortable outside in various weather conditions. This might mean incorporating overhangs or other structures for shade and protection from the elements. You might also want a fire feature for added warmth or a water feature to create a Zen-like atmosphere.
- Think vertical: When you don’t have room to go out, go up! Tiered plant stands, hanging flower baskets, and vine-covered lattices are great for adding vertical greenery and visual interest.
- Plant a container garden: If you can’t fit a sprawling garden in your yard, try using flower pots, window boxes, and small, raised flowerbeds. These are excellent ways to create focal points on a small deck or patio.
- Don’t forget hardscaping: The inorganic features in your yard are known as the hardscape. You might use pavers and a pergola to zone a dining area or add a walkway to the built-in seating areas in each corner of the yard. These hardscapes surrounded by natural landscaping are critical for creating a functional outdoor living space.
- Illuminate your small yard: Outdoor lighting helps you enjoy the space after dark. Create a magical atmosphere with sconces, railing lights, stair lighting, overhead string lights, and more.
- Add the finishing touches: To make your yard truly feel like a living space, complete it with outdoor furniture, cushions, rugs, and accessories.
Ready to dream big in your small yard? Bellantoni Landscape is here to help. We provide landscape and hardscape design services for homes and businesses in Westchester County, NY. With nearly 60 years of experience in the landscaping industry, we have the knowledge and skills to get the job done right. Your complete satisfaction is our number one priority, so we won’t quit until you’re thrilled with your small backyard design. Contact us at (914) 948-6468 to schedule an appointment with our landscape designers today.