Frequently Asked Questions about Landscaping in Westchester County, NY
At Bellantoni Landscape, we want to help residents in Westchester County, NY stay informed about caring for their property. If you’re interested in transforming and maintaining a beautiful lawn, garden beds, and more, our landscaping experts will help you. Read through our softscaping and hardscaping FAQs for valuable answers.
What are landscape design services?
The landscape design service includes analyzing, planning, and designing your exterior spaces. We integrate a variety of materials and elements to create functional and beautiful outdoor spaces for you to enjoy.
How often should I water my lawn with a sprinkler system?
We recommend you run your lawn sprinkler system three times a week to water your lawn. On average, you should run your system for 20 minutes each time to put down an inch of water every week, and 30 minutes each time to spread one-and-a-half inches of water.
How does a lawn sprinkler system work?
The sprinkler heads function according to a pressure system created as the water travels through the pipe and surges above ground. When the water is turned off and stops running, the sprinkler heads retract to ground level. If you have sprinkler heads in a garden, they’re typically the raised-head type.
How do I splice low-voltage lighting wire?
While we recommend having a professional carry this out, here’s a general breakdown of the steps:
- Stretch out the wire and use wire cutters to cut it in the middle. Strip the insulation from the cut ends of the wire, so there’s an inch of exposed bare wire. Pull apart the leads and separate them by four to six inches.
- The wire you use for the circuit should be similar gauge and construction. Cut a length long enough that you can place the light at its destination.
- Separate the wire leads and strip one inch of insulation from each end. Slide two-inch pieces of heat-shrink tubing on the new wire’s leads. There will be two pieces on each end of wire.
- Twist the old and new wires together for a continuous length. Heat the wire with a hot soldering iron at each joint, and then apply the solder until it flows into the joint. Remove the iron and repeat this step.
- After the joints cool, slide the heat-shrink tubing onto the joints and use a blow dryer to direct heat onto the tubing to shrink it.
- Test the operation by plugging in your low-voltage system, and then place the lighting fixtures and wire.
How do I install low-voltage landscape lighting?
A professional will do the best and safest job installing landscape lighting, but if you choose to do it yourself, here’s a general breakdown:
- Wire the transformer by screwing to wires in place and then hang it next to a GFCI outlet.
- Assemble and place the lights, and then place them where they will be installed.
- Connect the lights by attaching the cable connectors and then turning the system on to test it.
- Dig trenches around six inches deep for the cable and then place them in, but don’t bury them yet.
- Plug in the transformer and set the timer. Then, cover the GFCI outlet and test the lights. If they’re working correctly, you can bury the cable.
What is landscape design?
Landscape design is the arranging and modifying of the features in an outdoor space, whether it be a yard or urban area, for practical and aesthetic enhancement.
How do I draw landscape design plans?
Begin with a basic outline of your landscape, and then plot your fixed features in the drawing, such as your pool, lawn, and entrances. Add features you will not change, like flower beds and walkways, followed by additional elements like trees, flowers, and shrubs.
What types of water features should I consider for my landscape?
Some common water features you can choose to incorporate in your landscape designs include waterfalls, fountains, and garden pools.
How does water change landscape features?
When you install a water feature, it typically involves installing hardscape features as well to accommodate them. Rock, metal, and sealed concrete are common materials used. With a garden pool, you may be able to add fish and other aquatic life. Fountains and waterfalls also add the pleasant sound of water to your landscape.
What is masonry in construction?
Masonry Construction involves building structures by laying stone, concrete blocks, bricks, and other masonry units. We combine them with mortar to bind the units together and form a structure.
What is masonry non-combustible construction?
This form of construction uses brick, concrete, and other masonry materials for a structure’s outside walls, along with non-combustible materials like metal for the roof and floor.
What is asphalt paving?
This construction method paves a road, driveway, or another hard surface using hot mix asphalt, which is a combination of gravel, sand, or stone bound together with asphalt cement.
For any other questions, please feel free to contact Bellantoni Landscape in Westchester County, NY today!